Curry Leaves, also known as Katti Patta are the leaves of the Murraya koenigii. This tree is native to India and is used for both medicinal and culinary applications. Curry Leaves Powder is obtained by drying the leaves and then grinding it until making a powder.
Curry Leaves Powder is often mistaken with Curry Powder. Curry Powder is a mix of different spices: coriander, turmeric, cumin, chili peppers. They're both used in dishes and recipes: Curry is used as a Flavoring agents, while Curry Leaves are used as an aroma and flavor enhancer. Curry Leaves Powder is used in recipes like rice dishes, vegetable sides, lentil broths, drinks and curries. Curry is widely accepted in plant-based and vegan cuisines.
Curry Leaves are highly aromatic and have a unique flavor with notes of citrus. Some people chew a Curry Leaf in the morning for some extra health benefits, and they describe the taste a Citric with a hit of menthol.
Another misconception about Curry Leaves is that they're the same as Neem Leaves due to a literal translation. Curry Leaves are known as Sweet Neem Leaves in some parts of India (as opposed to ordinary neem leaves which are very bitter and in the family Meliaceae, not Rutaceae).
Curry Leaves are also very beneficial to the Skin and Health. Many people in Ayurveda have used Curry Leaves due to its High Antioxidant Content. Curry Leaves are also rich in Iron, Phosphorous, Calcium, Fiber, vitamin A, Vitamin B, vitamin C and Vitamin E.
This is the easiest and best way to use Curry Leaves to make a Hair Tonic Oil for the scalp and hair:
- In a Pan, add some coconut oil
- Add 2-3 tbsp of Curry Leaves Powder. (Optionally, add 1 tbsp of Bhringraj Powder)
- Stir until the oil turns dark but not black (we do not want to burn it).
- Strain and store in a bottle.
- Apply it to your hair twice a week for an hour.
This is an excellent hair tonic to strengthen your hair follicles and promote scalp health
Curry Leaves for Skin
-Mix 2 or 3 tablespoons of curry leaves powder with rose powder until making a paste
-Apply it to skin for 10 to 15 minutes, and then wash it off.
Other Applications for Curry Leaves Powder
- Moisturizes and Conditions the hair.
- Promotes skin care and health.
- Contains Carbazole and many more Antioxidants.
- Easy to add to diet.
- Can be taken as a herbal supplement in juices and shake.
- Can be mixed with other spices to make an excellent seasoning.
- Widely accepted in plant-based and vegan cuisine.