Moringa, or "The Drumstick Tree", is a small, bushy tree with large, green leaves. The leaves are what is harvested and made into tea, powder, or local cuisine. The leaves are full of a variety of vitamins and minerals. They have been used for centuries due to their medicinal properties.
Benefits of Moringa
Moringa Leaves are known to help fight disease and malnutrition. Other benefits include:
- Moringa has many important vitamins and minerals
- Moringa packs 7 times more vitamin C than Oranges
- Contains 15 times more potassium than Banana
- Also contains Protein and Amino acids
- Moringa is high in fibers and Vitamin B, which are known to be beneficial for the digestive system
- Moringa is rich in Calcium, and calcium is beneficial for the bones.
- Moringa contains Iron, and Iron is good for a strong system.
- Adding moringa powder to food for 2 months might improve weight gain in malnourished children.
- An early research (1) shows a positive relationship between the consumption of Moringa (3 grams twice daily for 3 weeks) and the reduction of severity of Asthma Symptoms.
As mentioned before, Moringa Leaves are a nutritious, superfood stacked with minerals and vitamins that are vital for the health and well being. 21 grams (1 cup of shopped leaves) of Moringa Leaves contains (2):
- Protein: 2 grams
- Vitamin B6: 19% of the Recommended Daily Amount (RDA)
- Vitamin C: 12% of the RDA
- Iron: 11% of the RDA
- Riboflavin (B2): 11% of the RDA
- Vitamin A (from beta-carotene): 9% of the RDA
- Magnesium: 8% of the RDA
How to Consume Moringa
One of the easiest and most popular ways to consume Moringa is by making a tea using the leaves. You can follow the next easy recipe using our Moringa Leaves Powder:
- Simply Boil 1/2 Cup Of Moringa Leaves In 1 1/2 Cup Of Water.
- Strain And Serve While It's Still Hot.
You can also make a Smoothie with only 3 ingredients:
- Moringa Leaves Powder
- Milk (you can use any plant based milk as a substitute)
- Frozen Banana
Add the Moringa Leaves Powder in a blender along with the milk, and the bananas. Blend until smooth and creamy (if desired) and serve.
Another method is to make an easy Moringa Drink by following the steps shown in the video below:
1: Agrawal B, Mehta A. Antiasthmatic activity of Moringa oleifera Lam: A clinical study. Indian J Pharmacol. 2008 Jan;40(1):28-31. doi: 10.4103/0253-7613.40486. PMID: 21264158; PMCID: PMC3023118.